[Healeys] Starter Ignition Problem Update

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:44:47 MDT 2012

Per

Per,

Thanks for that info. I am going to have to map my electric circuit so I
know clearly what is going where. My car is a hybrid as it has a BJ8 engine
in a 100-Six, plus its running an alternator. However it does not have the
BJ8 ignition switch or the BJ8 fuse box. The b/w wire from the battery cut
out goes to the negative terminal on the coi and meets the b/w wire that
goes to the distribtor. I have a Dennis Welch electronic tach. It doesn't
have an ignition light but one has been fitted as a stand alone item and
that is wired to the ignition at the same post as the white coil wire as
you described.

I believe I had several different issues all at the same time some of which
were caused by me. The car was running but the mechanic had wired the FIA
switch incorrectly and I didn't have headlights. When I corrected that the
solenoid decided to pack up at exactly he same time, which was a side issue
but complicated my thinking. I by passed that and also correctly wired the
FIA switch but in doing so I think I disturbed connections at the ignition
and also with the b/w wire. After sorting out all that I then thought I
would play safe by disconnecting the b/w at both ends which clearly I
shouldn't have done as I had no spark. I re-installed that and it worked.

It just proves you have to take a really methodical step by step approach,
noting everything you do, when trying to solve these type of isues.

I will not re-install the FIA switch until I have an accurate wiring
diagram and I do intend to upgrade the fuse block and ignition switch. I do
not like all these electrical connections which are made simply by sticking
several bare wires into the same screw hole. It's asking for trouble.

Cheers

Derek