[Healeys] FileMaker - was Parts Database

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 14:58:27 MDT 2012

The BJ8 Registry uses Excel, although it is not a pure Excel spreadsheet.
It is sort of a Word document in Excel format, but I would call it a
database.  Outside of BMIHT's archives, it probably has more data on BJ8s
than anyplace else -- original manufacturing data as well as current
configuration and ownership history for 7,859 cars.
Excel provides all the search capability necessary for the registry, and
some sort capability, although to produce statistics a lot of manual final
sorting is required.
As of today, the BJ8 Registry occupies 139,106 lines of Excel and has served
my purposes quite well for 14 years now.  If I were just starting it, I
would go with a relational database format like Access but there were more
good reasons to use Excel in the beginning than any other program.

I have used Filemaker Pro, and it is pretty simple to use.  Simpler than
Access, but maybe not as powerful.  For lists of parts, Excel should work
just fine.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry