[Healeys] Diff oil

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 13:05:09 MDT 2012

Everything I've seen/read/heard indicates you shouldn't mix oils of differing viscosities, esp. multi-vis oils. The multi-vis oils are a blend of base stock--e.g. 10W-40 has a base stock vis of 8 (I think)--and various 'viscosity improvers' or VIs. The VIs are polymers that start out as straight chains then sort of 'coil up' as they get hot to thicken the base stock beyond what it would otherwise be at a given temperature. I don't believe the effect is linear--i.e. mixing 80W-90 and 85W-140 won't give a blend proportional to the mixed quantities. Some say you shouldn't even mix different brands of same viscosity, but I personally wouldn't lose too much sleep over that. As an aside, you can mix grades of gasoline to get differing octane ratings; in fact, I believe most gas stations have just two tanks from which a third blend can be mixed at the pumps.

I don't think 85W-140 would hurt a Healey diff--it may even be recommended in the manual, haven't looked in a while--it'll likely be a similar base stock to 80W-90 with tons of VIs. The problem is the VIs chains shear over time and the higher vis number goes down.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA