[Healeys] Parkerizing

rd_parker at juno.com rd_parker at juno.com
Wed Jul 11 20:01:38 MDT 2012

Charlie,

Should not be a problem, unless the steel is a high heat treated variety,
around 180,000 psi tensile strength (ultimate). Yield is about 2/3 of
ultimate.  The real problem comes about in steels above 200 ksi when
nickel or chromium plating is used. What happens is the steel becomes
susceptible to developing cracks through the plating.

I am not familiar with Parkerizing though.  I can't think of any steels
that would be affected by the 200 degrees F.  Who you really need is a
metallurgist, AND, a material and processes engineer to evaluate this
process. And you need to find out what steel material is being used for
the fasteners. I wonder if Parkerizing is similar to pickeling?

One last thing, it is usually not a good idea to affect the fasteners in
any way, shape or form, if you can avoid it.  Be cautious, and look at
some test data results, if possible, using Parkerizing. Check long term
fatigue results, effects upon stress corrosion resistance, etc.

Thats all I have,

Bob P.
Bellflower, CA.