[Healeys] Rich Chrysler will live on

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:33:58 MDT 2012

Fellow Listers,

I'm resending this since the first one bounced.

I woke up on the morning of the 5th and Rich was constantly on my mind.  A
number of us knew that he was terminally ill, and as much as I wanted to
call, I had to respect the families wishes for privacy.  I received a call
from Peter Svilans that afternoon with the sad news of Rich's passing, and
even though I knew this call was somehow inevitable, I was shocked,
saddened, and depressed none the less.

I first met Rich at Breckenridge in 1992 where he was on his hands and
knees cleaning the Concours 100M that he had restored then driven all the
way from Ontario.  I introduced myself and for the next hour and a half I
chatted with him about the car, restoration, and Concours.  Rich patiently
continued to work while answering all my questions.  I was impressed with
his restoration of the car and the fact that he had driven it the long
distance from eastern Canada.  To me this did not seem odd, but the way it
should be done, restore the cars as they came from the factory and then
drive them as they were designed.  I guess that's the day that Rich made me
a Concours person.

This is what I loved about Rich, his knowledge, passion, and enthusiasm for
the cars.  Not all Healeys however, If you knew Rich, you might have known
that he was not a big fan of the Sprite. It became a running joke between
us that when I saw him I would ask tongue in cheek, "Rich... what was DMH's
favorite Austin Healey, and it wasn't the 100?"  Rich, always the
consummate gentlemen would just smile.

I was honored to know Rich as well as I did, and I was blessed to call him
my friend.  I will miss him very much and not being able to call or email
him and talk about our passion will leave a hole that cannot be filled.  So
restore your car to the best of your ability and budget, but drive the hell
out of it in honor of Rich Chrysler.

Rest in peace my friend.

Curt
Chairman
'55 BN1, '60 AN5

And to Rich... I'm  certain the Donald Healey was there in Heaven to take
to to your loved ones in a 100, since it's God that gets to drive the
Sprite :{)