[Healeys] Static timing

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Tue Jul 3 15:41:06 MDT 2012

I'm going to be starting up the engine after a long dormancy, and
will be breaking a new cam and lifters -the rest of the engine is
sound, with about 10,000 miles on it.
Anyway, we've been over the cam breaking issues ad nauseum, but  in
order to get the timing in the ball park, I seem to remember setting
it up so that the points opened for number one with the notch in the
pulley about 1/2' before TDC ( the indicator on the timing cover.)
Obviously I can't measure  degrees accurately until it's up and
running, but running in the cam is my first priority - then I can
fine tune
Sound like a good rule of thumb?

Stephen, BJ8