[Healeys] 100M cold air boxes and flow

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 04:56:56 MST 2012

Hi Alan,
No, you cant pressurise a cold air box.
Never set up your cold air box so it rams air in at higher than
atmospheric pressure straight into your carbs
If you do, the end result will be too much air, not enough fuel, a
lean mixture and a destroyed/ melted piston or 4. Probably at high rpm.
A cold air box is just that. A cold air box  - the ability for cold
air to be sucked into a carb on a hot engine. A cold air box generally
is not sealed. It is open at one end (or somewhere) so it can't
pressurize and force air into the carbs at higher than atmosperic
pressure.
Think about an old supercharger for a minute. The carb - often an SU
on the sort of superchargers found on BMC cars - is on the outside, it
mixes the fuel and air which is then compressed and fed to the engine.
I.e it is a fuel air mix which is compressed, not compressed air alone.
I've seen the results from some homemade "cold air sealed ram boxes" -
and trust me, unless your dad owns a piston company, you don't want to
go there.
So the end issue is the 'flow' into the cold air box is pretty
irrelevent, it's just a way to get cooler than underbonnet air in
front of the carbs.
Whether the volumetric area of a 100m cold air box is enough - no idea.
But pressurize or seal a cold air box on SUs at your own peril....

Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone