[Healeys] Smith's Temp Gauge

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Dec 30 02:26:29 MST 2012

There is not much you can do. There is a small U shaped connecting part
between the bourdon spring and the mechanism for the needle, this can be
opened up or closed a bit, but you have to dismantle the gauge to get at
it which is awkward with the capillary tube in the way. It is also very
fragile.
More practical is to remove the bezel and glass and lift the needle with
two small screwdrivers used as levers resting on the rim, heat up the
capsule in boiling water and refit the needle in the position of the
temperature at boiling point, i.e. 100C/212F at sea level. If you are at
a significant higher altitude recalculate the corresponding boiling
temperature of water and set the needle accordingly.
However if the gauge reads around the proper temperature, say 15% at
boiling point, checked with a laboratory mercury thermometer
_/*hanging*/_ in the water, leave things well alone. The automotive
capillary gauges, or any automotive gauges for that matter, are not
known for their accuracy and often need a tap before the needle settles.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL