[Healeys] FW: California Retro License Plates

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Dec 25 08:24:23 MST 2012

North Carolina allows YOM plates for cars 35 years and older, and there are
no requirements for correct "stickers" or any other complications.  As a
matter of fact, the state statute doesn't even require that the plate be an
officially-issued plate.  Consequently, I had a plate specially- made for me
by licenseplates.tv in Florida several years ago.  It's a 1966 NC plate in
the correct colors and stamping, except that it has the personalized letters
TARHEELY.  NC didn't have personalized plates in 1966.  The plate has been
on my BJ8 since January 2009 and hasn't been questioned yet.  The car is
officially-registered with an antique plate for tax purposes, but I keep the
plate under the driver's seat as directed by the DMV.

California seems to go out of its way to complicate things.  One would think
that if it works for NC it should also work for CA.

Merry Christmas and Happy Healey New Year to All!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA