[Healeys] BN1 steering

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 01:59:35 MST 2012

Peter

You are right, the Left Hand steering box on an A70 is very similar to
the Right Hand box on a BN1 100 and vice versa. Obviously the idler also
swops over. The swopped idles are the same but the boxes are different.
The length of the vertical section and the drop arm inside are longer on
the A70. It might be possible to shorten both but you are then into
tapered spline cutting and this has to be accurately aligned to allow
full steering lock to lock angles. The alternative is to mount the box
higher but here you will need to cut a new groove around the vertical
part. This is to allow the long mounting bolt to fit thought the main
mounting clamp.

There is a similar situation between A90 Westminster etc. and BN2 onward
big Healeys but one should not try to mix and match earlier and later
types because steering geometry would then be inaccurate.

Regards

--
John Harper