[Healeys] Moss Motors adjustable camber bushing set

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:20:44 MST 2012

Jonas,

I think you have confused camber with caster. It is caster that makes the
steering want to return to center.

The main reason for having zero camber is to put tire perpendicular to the
pavement i.e., a better contact patch with the pavement.  In the early days of
motoring, tires were narrow and round in section like bicycle tires and
positive camber worked well with the steering and chassis designs of the time.
Today's tires, and more particularly performance tires, are wider and flat on
the bottom. When inclined or leaned over, they do not continue to make a flat
contact patch on the pavement surface so any positive camber is a no-no.

On my race car I run 1-3/4 degrees of negative camber.  I run zero degrees of
camber on my street Healeys.

Richard Mayor