[Healeys] re What's your Healey and what healeys have you owned

randey brophy randey_brophy at telus.net
Thu Aug 30 14:13:27 MDT 2012

I bought my 1965 Austin-Healey 300 Mk III in 1983 in Kamloops, British
Columbia drove it back to Vancouver and had the engine, transmission and
overdrive rebuilt by local Vancouver BC Healey mechanic & racer Fred Falkins
in 1985.

I took the car off the road 23 years ago after the second of my 2 children
were born in 1989.

I attempted to get it rebuilt in 2002 but a backyard auto body man nearly
destroyed my car.

Recovering the car, I took it to Coachwerks Victoria Dec 2004 where it began
a complete 6 year restoration. It took 6 years because they were basically
starting from scratch -the backyard autobody man beforehand had really made
a mess of it- and as they'd progress at Coachwerks I'd save up more and have
them continue. I picked it up Wednesday, May 18 2011; it was the first time
I'd driven my car in 22 years. The owner of Coachwerks, Mike Grams, said at
the time it was the most complete restoration they had ever done and said
it is a brand new car. I have 300 photos of the restoration; 200 of which
are on the Coachwerks website http://www.coachwerks.com/brophy/

My thanks to the following for restoring my car:

.         John Bird, AHOABC - Bird's Machine Shop, for rebuilding my cars
engine.

.         Mike Grams and the amazing staff at Coachwerks, Victoria for
completely restoring the Healey.

.         Styles Auto Upholstery, Victoria for the interior and upholstery.

.         Brian Walton, Victoria for mechanically making sure everything was
in synch and ready to go.

.         Rick Regan, AHOABC- for initial maintenance on the Healey after
its restoration and for installing a 6 blade "Texas cooler" fan in the car.

.         Mike Long, AHOABC- for replacing the original generator &
regulator with a modern alternator.

The Austin-Healey Owners Association of British Columbia (AHOABC) which I've
rejoined has been a wealth of information and help along the way; here is
just one example. I called Brian Drab of the club 1 week after meeting him.
My car had conked out in White Rock, due to a faulty generator . He had the
car towed to his house, lent me his car to drive home and had the problem
fixed the next morning. If you are fortunate enough to have a Healey and you
have it in BC, you are in good hands..

Randey Brophy

1747 Trafalgar St

Vancouver BC

V6K3R9

C: 604 928 1866

E:  <mailto:randey_brophy at telus.net> randey_brophy at telus.net

"You are what you do!"

cid:2CEF16BD-C2F4-4E37-A75E-82C333CC2756 at local

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image001.png]