[Healeys] re - 100 oil filter

mike brooks hypercubic at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 09:51:46 MDT 2012

 Hi Curt,

Just to let you know that as a result of the drawings and photos
you sent me I have successfully rebuilt my tecalemit oil filter. I made felt
washers out of furniture feet protector pads. They are self adhesive, and two
back to back were about the right thickness. I found a domed washer in my
spares tin, and a friend bored it out to 3/4" ID on his lathe. I cut down a
spring from a scrap master cylinder for the spring which holds the filter
element in place. Once I realised that the filter bypass pressure spring is
the one in the filter head, I could see that the spring rate of the spring in
the bottom of the can is unimportant. You may know that various tractor
engines shared the same Tecalemit filter. Consequently I was able to buy a
Baldwin P174 element from a tractor spares supplier (Rico Europe), which is
equivalent to the Tecalemit FG2313.

The other component that needs work is
the square section "O" ring between the filter head and the can. The original
is much wider than either of the two provided with the new element. I managed
by leaving the old "O" ring in place, and using one of the two new ones on
top. I've got a seal, but it's clearly not a long term solution, as the old
"O" ring will not last forever.

I wish you success working with Moss to
produce the parts properly. It is disappointing that so many people are
converting to the spin-off canister when the original filter can be made to
work, and is much "greener" as only the paper element is disposed of.

Many
thanks for your help.

Best regards

Mike Brooks