[Healeys] Setting SU HD Carburetors

David Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Fri Aug 17 12:24:15 MDT 2012

I could be wrong but I think the only HD8's without a slow run adjuster (AKA
air bleed) are fitting to Aston Martin's or perhaps the odd purpose built
race engine.. The double mechanical only is one to keep the butterfly valve
from sticking-the other for idle adjustment.
dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

I don't know for sure why the throttle adjusting screws would be fitted. One
theory is that the slow run screw becomes less effective when multiple cars
are fitted because the air velocity is so low at idle with multi carbs.
Another theory is that the butterflies are difficult to perfectly center in
the carb bodies & therefore some air is always leaking thru, even when they
are closed & this adversely affects the idle circuit operation.
If your HD's have have throttle adjusting screws then you should be able to
identify four separate adjusting screws/carb as follows: Slow-running valve,
fast-idle adjusting screw, jet adjusting screw, throttle adjusting screw. Do
you have all four?
Gary Hodson

Gary that is a very interesting comment you make about the throttle
adjusting screws not being confused with the fast idle screws.

I seem to have a pair of HD8s on my car which do have throttle adjusting
screws as well as fast idle screws. The slow running valves were screwed
down and the adjustment has been made on the throttle screws. I still don't
fully understand this though. For instance, what is the purpose of the
throttle screws if the carbs operate fine without them. What extra benefit
do they offer. Any ideas?