[Healeys] Setting SU HD Carburettors

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 12:19:36 MDT 2012

re: "In fact i have read in various publications the instruction that the butterfly must be closed at idle."

Has anybody ever given an actual reason--theoretical or otherwise--for this proclamation? I've looked, and haven't found one (note your SU/HD manual specifically says otherwise, for multi-carb installations).

re: "IMPORTANT: It is imperitive that the throttle linkage is allowing the butterflies to close completely. If not, it will not be possible to set the idle speed accurately'. "

Well, apparently I've accomplished the impossible, as my BJ8 idles rock solid at 750RPM give-or-take a few RPM depending on conditions (altitude, temperature, etc.). I could go lower but I don't like to run off the battery, and higher idle RPM increases run-on. Moreover, the idle hasn't wavered in years, nor do I ever stall.

Bottom line is, you're controlling the volume of air/fuel mixture getting to the engine; anything that accomplishes that in a stable, repeatable manner is correct. I suspect if you close your throttle plates completely you won't get much over 600RPM on the slow-run valves. Try it and report back.

British Classic Motors can't spell 'imperative,' how much confidence can you have in their definitive statement ?

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA