[Healeys] Setting SU HD Carburettors

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:37:25 MDT 2012

Bob

My understanding was that you adjust the  idle with the slow run valve and
not the throttle adjustment. In fact i have read in various publications
the instruction that the butterfly must be closed at idle.

Here is an example from a US company called British Classic Motors.

'On most vehicle applications the idle is controlled by the slow running
running valve and this alone must be used to adjust the idling speed.
IMPORTANT: It is imperitive that the throttle linkage is allowing the
butterflies to close completely. If not, it will not be possible to set the
idle speed accurately'.

Derek