[Healeys] Setting SU HD Carburettors

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 10:49:35 MDT 2012

I just obtained a copy of the SU Workshop Manual.

Flicking through the HD section I noticed the following

1. On single carb applications the idling speed is adjusted by using the
slow running valve.

2. On Multi carb applications  there is the following statement.

Item 1
Note: *Whenever the throttle adjusting screws are fitted they, and not the
slow running valves, must be used to adjust the idling speed*. Screw down
the slow-running valves (which must remain closed) and set the throttle
adjusting screws 1.5 turns open. In items 2 and 3 adjust the idling speed
with the throttle adjusting screws.

Item 2 says:

a) restart the engine and turn the slow-running valve *OR* the throttle
adjusting screw, an equal amount on each carburettor to give the desired
idling speed.

Item 3 says:

a) Turn the jet adjusting screw an equal amount on all carburettors, up to
weaken or down to enrich, until the fastest idling speed consistant with
even running is obtained

b) Re-adjust the slow running valves, if necessary.

Does anyone else out there find this contradictary. Are the slow running
valves to be used to adjust idling or not?

Any thoughts?

Derek