[Healeys] Engine Temperature Info ??

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 17:43:03 MDT 2012

Steve, et al:

If one reads too many e-mails on the same subject, "facts" can get muddled.
One says you need the thermostat to slow down the flow of coolant through
the radiator, another says a faster flow rate increases heat transfer
inferring that that is a proper solution to some of our heating problems.  I
belong to the school that believes that too fast a coolant flow is NOT good.

As described to me many moons ago, the thermostat slows the flow to allow
appropriate time for the coolant to cool.  Granted, slowing the flow will
also allow the coolant to stay in the engine longer allowing for more heat
to be absorbed by the coolant.  However, my understanding is that it is the
job of the thermostat, assuming it is working properly, to attain the
designated temperature by opening just enough to hit that happy balance
between heating the coolant and cooling it.  Thermostats are not a totally
open/totally closed device as some might believe from their e-mails.  They
should open just enough to allow the appropriate coolant flow to maintain
their designated temperature.  That should apply to the sleeved thermostats
as well.

As to the air flow through the radiator, I can agree that the greater the
air flow, the more heat transfer.  However, with a mechanical fan, there is
no thermostat to control the air flow.   In that case, we upgrade our
radiators and/or fans to boost that.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031