[Healeys] Brake problem

Ron Mitchell healeyron at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 09:02:31 MDT 2012

Hi Michael,

There is a small hole thatis located directly in front of the
pressure seal called a Compensating Portthat allows fluid to flow into the
master cylinder from the Fluid Reservoir.  After much use the lip of the seal
will develop a small groove where it rubs over the port as you apply the
brakes.  In time that groove will become deep enough that under pressure the
seal doesn't expand enough in the area of the groove to seal off the bore and
will freely travel forward.  Until the groove gets big enough to be a complete
failure you will experience the described problem on
light applications of
the brake pedal. If you apply the brake pedal firmly the seal will expand
positively against the the bore but fluid will slowly bypass the seal as the
seal relaxes. The symptoms you describe sounds like that may be the problem.
You can sometimes evaluate this condition if you get someone to remove the
Reservoir Cap and watch for a slight blip of fluid as you slowly apply the
brake pedal.

Hope this helps,
Ron Mitchell
BN6