[Healeys] Brake calliper seals

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 10:49:09 MDT 2012

Many thanks for all the replies. Well, I was doing almost everything
right.....I've always managed before by sliding the boot over the cylinder,
locating the seal into the piston and easing(!??**?) the piston inwards and
finally locating the boot on the piston.

Regarding the "almost everything", I had not noticed that the seals within
the pistons, as supplied with the new kit, were simply too big. Luckily I
had a pile of old ones and was able to go back to the original smaller size.
So, check the seals' size and save yourself some trouble.

I used LM grease as a lubricant which, hopefully will be flushed out in the
bleeding/fluid renewal process.

A footnote on the inner seals' profile. I remembered them as being tapered
and did find a reference to this in the Haynes manual:

"9) To reassemble, first fit the internal seal, previously wetted with
Castrol Girling Brake Fluid, into the groove in the cylinder bore with the
scraping edge (smaller diameter) innermost".

Simon