[Healeys] bugeye

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:41:46 MDT 2012

Jim,
It's just a smaller version of a C series.
The only issue is that some A series vehicles were designed with the oil
filler in the banjo (and those diff pumpkins don't have a filler plug in
them); and some cars with A series rear ends had the oil filler in the pumpkin
(and no oil filler in the banjo).
After 50 plus years, where diff ratios have been changed between early & late
sprites & morris minors & A30's etc, and due to this easy interchangeability
and range of ratios, it's theoretically possible to find a car with no oil
filler hole.....
Or a car with two oil filler holes (banjo & pumpkin).
Happened to a mate of mine.. No oil filler plug.
>From that point on, I made a point of always rebuilding diffs into pumpkins
with the oil filler hole, whether the car had a filler plug or not.
If you do end up with a car with no oil filler plugs, drop one side on the
ground, jack the other side up higher, and pour the required volume of oil in
via the axle tube before you insert the last axle.....
Also, remove and clean the oil breather on the banjo..... It's the major cause
of a seal failure on a road car rear axle.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 17/04/2012, at 12:26 PM, <healeymanjim at hansencc.net> wrote:

> jonas and i are going to help a club member with a bugeye change a leaking
axle seal shortly.  is there anything we should know that might get us in
trouble since i have never worked on a bugeye.  we have a manual; just looking
for things that might trip us up