[Healeys] Re 100 MPH Club

Dave Gay dgay at simoncontractors.com
Wed Apr 11 11:55:04 MDT 2012

I was coming out of Fort Carson (Colorado Springs, CO) in 1970 on I-25 (
long before owning the 60 BT7 which is now in pieces) in a 67 Corvette.
Headed for Cheyenne.  Probably around 11 o'clock at night. The Vette was
modified (no one worried about keeping your car stock in those days -
the object was to beat the Cudda's, Roadrunners and 4-4-2's - with
headers into factory sidepipes (not original to the car but that is
another story), Aluminum dual plane, Holley 650 and Mallory dual point.
North of Fort Collins, CO, where the Budweiser plant is now located, the
interstate is straight and flat for a couple of miles.  In 1970, there
was nothing out there.  And I do mean NOTHING (well, maybe a few prairie
dogs).  The speedometer goes to 160.  I pushed the Vette well past that
(170-175). There was no peddle left.  IT WAS SCARY.  The front end was
floating around like a boat.

Made a promise to myself to never do that again.....

Dave Gay
(I still have that Corvette)