[Healeys] 100 MPH Club

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 23:31:17 MDT 2012

100+ on the German autobahn.  For short distances.  I had a built in
governor.  When at that speed, the thought would occur - what would happen
if a tire blew right now?  My foot would automatically come off the
accelerator.

During that trip, I had a passenger and a load of camping gear.  He was
dozing in the passenger seat.  We were cruising along fat, dumb, and happy,
when I glanced at the speedometer.  I nudged him awake and asked him how
fast he thought were going.  He said about 75-80.  I told him to look at the
speedo.  We were cruising comfortably at 90 MPH..

I have found that if I do not look at the speedo and just drive at what
becomes a comfortable speed for me and the Healey, I will be going 85 MPH.
Less fighting the steering wheel, engine is running smooth and strong,  I am
more relaxed than at 55 or 65,  the road seems to smooth out, and the
driving experience is total pleasure.

I first drove a friends Healey on the track at LeMans the day before the
race.Too long a story to relate here.  I don't know how fast I was driving
down the Mulsanne Straight but it had to do with dicing with a Birdcage
Maserati.  OK.  So the Maserati passed us like we were standing still.  That
experience and a couple of rallies told me that I had to have a Healey.  It
took 10 years for the dream to come true but I'm still lovin' it.

Speaking of LeMans, There is a two page picture spread of the 1960 start in
the 1961 program.  On the left page, I can be seen taking pictures as I
knelt on the overhang above the pits.  On the right page can be seen Healey
UJB143 in the pack.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031