[Healeys] HD8 adjustment

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 18:07:30 MDT 2012

Steve,
I have a copy of your excellent instructions & follow the procedure with one
significant exception. Your instructions state that the slow run valves (what
I called the idle screws) are used to set the Idle at 500 RPM, then (after the
mixture & balance are set) the fast idle screw is used to raise the idle to
1000 RPM.
The exception is, that it is my understanding that, the idle should be set
entirely with the slow run valve & the fast idle screws are set so that they
are not in contact with what you call the throttle shaft stop lever. The fast
idle screw should only contact the throttle shaft stop lever when the choke is
pulled out. The choke actually performs two functions in sequence, (1) is to
raise the idle speed & (2) is to lower the main jet to richen the mixture.
However, on the HD8's that I have attempted to adjust, I cannot raise the idle
speed high enough with the slow run valves & am forced to raise the speed with
the fast idle screw. So I do end up using your proceedure, but it conflicts
with what I have read & Jim Taylor used to teach.
One point of clarification. With HD8's, I can get the idle up to 500 RPM with
the slow run valves but not up to 1000 RPM with the slow run valves. With
HD6's I can.
Gary Hodson