[Healeys] lucas (was headlights)

Rich Chrysler richchrysler at quickclic.net
Fri Apr 6 07:05:49 MDT 2012

In all honesty, I have always found that the earlier the Lucas part was
manufactured, the better the quality and the more robust and dependable the
item is. As others have pointed out, these earlier components were built in
an era where things were designed to be able to be serviced, adjusted,
cleaned, repaired, and Lucas electrical components certainly fall into this
category.

The only problems I've ever encountered with Lucas electrics beyond long
life and eventual wear out, have been due to people adding, changing,
adjusting  or trying to "improve" things when they don't know what they're
doing, but their buddy told them it would be a good idea!

I will state that Lucas components went cheap and poor quality from about
1968 on, with crappy spring loaded rocker switches, their bimetal
instrumentation, alternators, etc.

Therefore staying with original spec equipment on our Healeys built to the
end of '67 will keep us out of the woods.

In my experience the new replacement wiring harnesses we are installing in
our restorations today are very well made, accurate and dependable.

The crap I've been reading here, even in fun, must have the newbies in this
hobby very worried about their electricals.

Rich