[Healeys] Clutch Squeak

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:18:59 MDT 2012

An alternate method for impregnating a phosphor bronze bush with oil (if your
wife won't let you boil engine oil on her stove, and the local takeaway won't
let you put it in their Bain Marie) is to use a vacuum cleaner.
I use one of those old spray gun attachments you used to get with vacuum
cleaners in the 1950's. I sealed up the nozzle end, removed the tubes, so all
I've got left is a glass bottle with a rubber seal & screw top lid, with a
vacuum tube attachment on top.
Fill the glass bottle 1/2 full with oil (I just use fresh engine oil, but not
really heavy stuff), drop in the phosphor bronze bush, attach the vacuum
cleaner on suck, and you can watch the air bubbles come right out of the bush
(and the oil goes in....) It's a vacuum chamber - all air is removed, and it
doesn't take long. Vacuum until the bubbles stop. 10 - 20 mins tops depending
on bush size.
If your wife gets suspicious about you using her vacuum cleaner, do it near
the car, with a door open.....
;-)
If anyone wants a pic of the device, ping me.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 02/04/2012, at 1:59 AM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

> I agree with Rich.
> Transmission out job I am afraid. Renew bush, it probably will be knackered.
Before fitting heat up to 100 degrees C in oil "au bain Marie" for safety's
sake, let cool down and leave it immersed for 24 hrs. This will saturate the