[Healeys] UPDATE: Cal vs S. Carolina DMV madness

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:59:35 MDT 2011

So -

I call S. Carolina DMV this morning and ask them why are they holding up the
renewal of my DL?

They tell me that I had a car accident in 1990 (which I did) and they are
holding up my DL renewal because.... if you can believe this... they don't
have a record that I ever showed anyone from the state that I had proof of
insurance in 1990.

I think the loophole here was I was working at the Savannah River Plant, and
when I had my accident at the plant, I showed my insurance to the DOE
facility police and then they never passed that information to the SC
authorities.

I explained to her the situation and I said there's no way I can prove I had
insurance in 1990, and asked her is there a way around this.  She said, yes,
you can pay a $100 fee.  I said fine, take my credit card.  She said they
don't take credit cards and I have to send a check and wait for it to clear.
 I then told her "so you are telling me that my license will expire and I
wont be able to drive because of a non existent infraction from 20 years
ago, and also because you can't process my payment efficiently?"

Well bless Southern hospitality because the nice DMV lady felt pretty bad,
and given the situation she finally did agree to waive the charge and remove
the block from my driver's license renewal.

So, be prepared.  All of the DMVs are under orders to raise money any way
possible and they will be tagging any and all infractions, perceived or
actual, current or prehistoric, to your Driver's License renewal.  I was
lucky because the lady was nice, but I would HIGHLY suggest that if you have
to renew your driver's license that you do it at least a month in advance,
so that when these grabs for cash show up you have time to deal with it.

Good luck all -

Alan