[Healeys] Crazy crazy California - S. Carolina DMVs

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 20 08:21:36 MDT 2011

Sorry... I don't have much sympathy for the "victims" in this thread.   You
receive a ticket; pay it or go to court and get it reversed.

The "ticket blew off the windshield" or "ticket was taken by a bystander"
arguments don't really hold much water with me either.   Those kinds of
events are simply way way too rare to be honest portrayals of events.
(Usually, the sight of a ticket promotes a response like..."Boy, wouldn't
you like to see the person's face when they get back to the car and see the
ticket!")

Parking spots are regulated for good reason(s).  If people don't abide by
the regulations it makes finding a parking space for legitimate parkers even
worse than things already are...or worse, it compromises safety (when people
park in front of fire hydrants, or too close to corners and cause
blind-spots for intersections, for example).  Whenever I see a ticket on a
windshield, it tells me the driver is being intentionally selfish with
respect to the needs of his/her fellow person.... or it tells me that some
poor person simply lost track of time, and therefore needs a reminder that
there are penalties for not paying attention.

Yep, I know there are instances where the meter-maid arrives just as the
meter expires; but that too is rare.  Usually a ticket means a flagrant
disregard for parking regulations... So, as I said at the outset.  No one
gets sympathy from me for legal tangles caused by double infractions.  (You
earned the ticket in the first place, and you double earned your troubles by
failing to pay it.)

-skip-
BJ7, BJ8