[Healeys] Headlamp Bucket Installation

Rich Chrysler richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Sep 15 15:11:28 MDT 2011

Hello Bill,

Your '59 3000 will take the earlier 3 adjuster headlamp buckets as you
describe. However, the brass adjuster bodies that will be located at 12, 3
and 9 o'clock do not have threads on their exterior, but they have a series
of serrations on their outer diameter. These are to hold a press-on plastic
protector sleeve with a blind end to protect the inner thread and adjuster
screw from getting dirty. The very early 3 adjuster bucket had 3 red plastic
sleeves over these adjusters. Later ones (like yours) will have black
plastic protector sleeves.
Also it sounds like you have incorrect headlamp rubber gaskets. The 3
adjuster gasket has 3 simple open through holes about 3/8" diameter for the
3 adjuster bodies and plastic sleeves to fit through. The later 2 adjuster
buckets use a different much more slender adjuster that fits within the
rubber spigot you are finding  on your bucket gaskets.
The buckets and their rubber gaskets fasten to the car with 4 Phillips 10-32
thread machine screws, these pass through 4 holes situated roughly at 2, 4,
8 and 10 o'clock. There are small flat washers and special brass acorn nuts
(readily available from all the usual suppliers) to fasten the 4 screws into
place on the wing and shroud.
I am including a picture that shows the brass acorn mounting nuts. This also
shows 3 black adjuster caps, but please note that the wiring harness
arrangement is that of a BN1, and should not be followed for your 3000.

Rich