[Healeys] Overdrive slow to engage when hot

Thomas Willig twillig at ruda.de
Mon Sep 12 01:09:49 MDT 2011

Gentlemen,

I am facing the problem that the Overdrive on my BN2 is quite slow to
engage  when the gearbox is hot. Here are the symptoms /parameters:

1.    I am using Penrite 30 gearbox oil -a non detergent oil

2.    I installed a OD pressure gauge that can be read when driving the
car.

3.    Gearbox / Engine cold,  pressure is 490 Psi -Looks perfect to me

4.    OD engages faultlessly

5.    Gearbox / Engine warm (Engine Oil 200 F) OD pressure 360 Psi -Too
low.

6.    The overdrive needs about 4-5 seconds to engage in other words the
OD pressure takes that long to reach the 360 Psi again.

?  Am I facing a worn oil pump? Any advice what I can/should do.

Best regards

Thomas Willig

BN2L-230649   01. Feb. 1956