[Healeys] Uprated shock absorber valves

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:49:14 MDT 2011

Hey Simon,
Remember that Austin sedan I posted about (yeah, in the US) a few
weeks ago?
Well, it was actually a Healey / BMC Special Tuning Parts Mule.
You know. It had the 3.5 diff fitted as standard. The diff ratio most
Healey guys want. It was an auto.
And it also had the Healey Special Tuning armstong shock valves. And
the Healey BMC special tuning negative camber front shock arms.
Pick a BMC 6 cyl rear wheel drive sedan of the era. Pretty much any
big wolseley or big Austin sedan. You know, a 6 cyl sedan - and im
talking old fashioned straight 6, C series.rear wheel drive.
How much heavier were those old sedans?? Look at their shock valves.
Those shock valves were designed to stop a far heavier car than a
Healey from wallowing. Ok. So they didn't work on a 6/110.... But
those shock valves work a treat on a Healey!
Magnus is sort of right. You can adjust your springs by tightening
your nuts. Or you can just fit the bigger valves (smaller) with the
stronger springs from an appropriate sedan to your Healey.
A 3 minute upgrade. Or you can buy them from the usual suspects
And then you can do what Magnus said, if you want. And if you fit the
front sedan arms, you will get negative camber too...z
Start with some sedan shock valves.
Very easy to remove at a wreckers.
;-)
My shock valves are all Austin/ Wolseley sedan. So are my front shock
arms.
BMC Special Tuning via the BMC donor car parts Bin.
The way Donald and Geoff did it.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone