[Healeys] BN1 rear springs zinc interleaves

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 5 01:16:07 MDT 2011

G'day

Apart from the rear hanger there are no grease nipples on/in the rear
springs of a big Austin-Healey. There are also no leather gaiters as on
other British cars to keep grease/oil in and around the springs.

I rebuilt mine in the early 1980s and when the car was back on the road and
got wet a few times the rear springs began to squeak. No matter how well I
lubricated them I could not eradicate the squeak.

As I have to rebuild them again due to a broken main leaf I want to install
the original zinc interleaves as I believe such things prevent squeaking.
Whether the zinc acts a lubricant or anti-corrosive medium it doesn't
matter, as long as the squeak doesn't return.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia