[Healeys] BN2 overdrive driving me nuts

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 15:21:38 MDT 2011

Hi Jose,
I just went over all this in my own restoration of my 56 BN2.  I am about 6
months to 1 year behind you.  I just used a multi-meter to test all
functioning of the relay/switches as the engine/trans is not yet in the car.
 I also use a variable power supply that will deliver a set current I can dial
in to 3 amp max.  This power supply will switch out when there would be a
short.  If I make a mistake then at least I will not fry the expensive wiring.
 This power supply is just not powerful enough to test solenoids or horns.
With your throttle switch mechanism reversed, this switch is now energizing
the solenoid with the accelerator depressed (open throttle).  If your solenoid
was not working without depressing the accelerator in your test #4 then the
relay will be the next item to check after you reverse the throttle linkage.
In fact it's best to test all these components separately before testing them
as an assembly.
The order of connection of the white leads does not change operation of the
switch, but it's important for the lamp test in the 6 cyl manual where they
hook up the white-purple lead to the top post and test from there.  I suggest
to do the same for later trouble shooting.   In the BN2 wiring diagram it's
not specified, but then again the lamp test is also not in the 4 cyl manual as
mentioned.
One consolation: the BN1 has an extra relay and 1 more switch, much more to
test and trouble shoot.
Best of luck, you're almost there.
Bert