[Healeys] BN2 overdrive driving me nuts

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 09:35:55 MDT 2011

Josi,
>From this statement it seems that you may have 2 problems (or more).
1.  The throttle control relay is adjusted wrong-that has been addressed.

2.  It sounds like since the overdrive does not work when the engine is
running I think you are saying that you hear all the proper engagement noises
but the OD doesn't mechanically/hydraulically engage.  This could be caused by
many issues;  the solenoid adjustment may be wrong not letting the operating
valve which is attached to the lever open enough, also the OD pump may not be
working properly due to the cam not engaging the pump roler (have you had the
OD and tranny separated just prior to this problem?)  The OD mechanism has to
reach a certain pressure to cause it to engage and remain engaged and the
pressure needs to be checked to diagnose these issues if all the electrical
and mechanical (solenoid) functions are correct.  I know this is a pain but it
has to be done so you'll have the enjoyment the OD.  They offer very little
trouble once you get them correct--it's worth the hassle right now to get it
right.

Take care,

George Haywood
'65 bj8