[Healeys] Bad running due to ethanol in gas?

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Sat Sep 3 18:17:56 MDT 2011

Lately I've been experiencing bad running - loading up on taking off from a stop sign. Better in cool weather, worse in hot weather. It's like the fuel is now more volatile and vapor-locks at a lower temperature.

A number of other collector-car drivers have mentioned similar problems.

I did online research and bought an inexpensive kit which reveals the percentage of ethanol in the gas.

My last tank, Unocal 76 Regular, which ran badly, turned out to be 8% ethanol.

Pictures of the test, the kit and a link to the supplier's website which has lots of information on ethanol in gas, and how tax breaks are incentivizing suppliers to over-mix to a higher percentage of ethanol than is allowed by law.

http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_tech

--
Steve Gerow
Altadena, CA