[Healeys] non Healey, car question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 14:05:47 MDT 2011

The problem with any sealant is you're coming from the outside in; i.e. you're likely going to just smear a bunch of
goop on the outside, which won't hold very long (if at all).  Now, if you had some way to inject the sealant under
pressure you might have a decent repair until you can get the manifolds off and replace the gasket.   Something less
viscous than epoxy--like a cyanoacrylate ('crazy glue')--would penetrate better but I don't know of any that could
endure the temperatures.

I believe JB Weld would do the job but, again, how do you force it into the crack under pressure?  Also, you may have to
mill the surfaces to get the epoxy off when you finally do a proper repair.

I've used this stuff to help seal up exhaust leaks, you could give it a try:

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_permatex_ultra_copper_maximum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm

-- or --

*http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gapxb2*

Bob