[Healeys] bn

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Oct 28 11:36:33 MDT 2011

All manufacturers use such codes in the VIN to designate different things
concerning the vehicle.  The N, J, T, etc. were just BMC code letters for
"Two-Seat Tourer", "Convertible", "Four-Seat Tourer", etc. and were part of
the code system applied to all BMC cars, not just Austin-Healeys.  Why BMC
chose to use an "N" to mean "Two-Seat Tourer", only BMC would know. Other
codes used were:
A = Ambulance
D = Coupe
S = 4-door Saloon
V = Van
H = Hearse
K = Truck
P = Hardtop
2S = 2-door Saloon
U = Pickup
W = Taxi

Late in BJ8 production, BMC made changes in their codes.  What used to be an
"L" in the VIN (HBJ8L/XXXXX) now became a "U" to mean the same thing (North
American specification), and a "G" was added to the end to designate a
vehicle assembled at the MG Abingdon factory (HBJ8U/XXXXX G).  All BJ8s were
assembled there, of course, but now there was a code letter to show that.
The codes were applied to all vehicle lines.  My 1973 MG Midget has the "U"
for North American specification and the "G" on the end of the VIN:
GAN5UD126009 G, so it also came out of the MG factory at Abingdon.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA