[Healeys] bn

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Thu Oct 27 14:38:57 MDT 2011

G'day Mike

Austin-Healey nomenclature will probably always remain a mystery of life,
unless someone who was within the corridors of Longbridge or Abingdon lets
out the secret.

Yes everyone is correct, BN generally means a two-seater roadster, the four
seater roadsters are the BTs and BJ stands for the convertible models.

However then how do you explain the BN4?

My car, the BN3/1 is a four-seater six-cylinder motor car, in fact it was
the first four-seater Austin-Healey built. It wasn't the Donald Healey Motor
Company who set out to confuse owners of the future, for if it was, my car
wouldn't be a BN series car.

My guess is that someone at Longbridge or Abingdon got it within their head
that there should be some way of differentiating between the 4 and 2 seater
cars. For some reason this didn't happen through the build period of the
100/6, but probably when the 3000 was under design.

Confusing? Sure is. But after being involved for forty years it all becomes
clear.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia