[Healeys] Windshield

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Oct 27 01:42:14 MDT 2011

"Modern" glass of a laminated construction has a much softer outer glass
pane compared to the old fashioned hardened single panes. I have the
impression that the last 25 odd years the outer glass is even softer
than the first generations of laminated windscreens. It has to do with
the prevention of shattering into a million pieces and thus completely
obstructing the vision as happened with the hardened glass.
If a laminated screen is hit by a small stone it may crack when the
glass is to hard, so I presume they made it softer to prevent cracking
but the result is that pits are formed easier and wiper scratches are
more common.
This is what I presume, but there may well be other causes.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL