[Healeys] tappets - the pits :-(

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:19:40 MDT 2011

Hi John -

Tappet surfaces are supposed to be shaped slightly convex, which when in
operation causes them to spin in circles which serves to bring in oil
lubrication between the tappet and cam.   The spinning of the tappets is
often interrupted for many common reasons, then the cam just runs over one
part of the tappet for a period of time, causing pitting.  Usually it breaks
loose and starts spinning again then sticks again, causing more pitting.  It
usually isn't a major issue, but pitted tappets will eventually wear down
the surface of the cam lobe causing decreased performance, but this may take
100K miles to do so.  If a tappet remains unpitted, usually the cam lobe
won't wear at all.

If pitting is minor, I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Alan