[Healeys] tappets - the pits :-(

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 25 23:26:52 MDT 2011

Are tappet pits okay? This is really embarrassing!

I just sent my rocker arm and tappets to a well known re-builder.
Several tappets had what I thought was extensive pitting. This
occurred after 1000 miles or so since resurfacing them. However, the
engine was not run since 2003 due to other issues. BTW, there was no
rust on them, just a well coated oil surface after eight years of
benign neglect!

The re-builder told me that the pitting was minor and typical;
meaning that it might reoccur after another resurfacing.

What causes tappet pitting? The cam looks fine. Could it be that the
tappets, are not rotating in their bores?

I want to solve this problem!

Help!!

John Spaur
'62 BT7