[Healeys] Nasty Boy First Drive - I Got a Sticker!

HealeyRick healeyrick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 18:01:17 MDT 2011

I've been trying to get the Nasty Boy road legal before it gets too cold
play in my unheated New England garage.  In order to legally operate
 a motor
vehicle upon the ways of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, one
 must obtain a
motor vehicle inspection sticker, known hereabouts as
"gottagetastickah"
(rhymes with "pissah"). I've had a primal fear about
inspection stickers
since 1967 when every 6 mos I'd try to get my well
used bugeye through
inspection.  There was always something wrong with
it and I'd hold my breath
that it would pass and give me another six
months on the road.
    So with more than a little trepidation, I
brought the Healey in to get
checked out.  For older cars, it's not a
huge deal.  Lights, directionals,
brake lights, brakes, emergency brake,
 horn, wipers, kingpins, etc. Car guys
know which inspection stations
are hot rod friendly and which ones aren't.
Fortunately, I've got a
local guy who's sympatico with the classic car guys.
     Passed with more or less flying colors.
   Once
 legal, I filled up the tank and did about five miles on it.  So far,
I'm enthralled.  It's really solid.  Between the balanced rear brake
drums
and additional bracing around the doghouse, there's no scuttle
shake.  It's
running about 190 degrees, which makes me a little less
concerned about the
modified stock radiator and Texas Cooler mechanical
fan.
  But the most exciting thing is this car is ... uhmmm... what's
 the word?
Oh yeah .... FAST!  I have to admit I was always a bit
disappointed with the
performance of the Big Healey.  The six is a great
 sounding motor, but to me
it never had the performance to keep up with
those handsome lines.  345 hp
changes all that.  The pipes sound
wonderful and it really moves!
   I know I need pictures and videos,