[Healeys] Mirrors

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Oct 20 10:08:34 MDT 2011

In Europe there are legal requirements (ECE directives) for the field of
vision in car mirrors. There is no hope in hell that wing mirrors can
meet these requirements. There is an exception for classic cars though,
but I prefer to meet modern standards as much as possible in modern
traffic. That is why I use TEX mirrors like they were fitted to the
Mini, MGB, Jensen Healey and many others. Although not perfect they
supply a decent field of vision.
The requirements can only be met by door mirrors. If flat some can be
huge mirrors, mainly used on HGV's, which means that most mirrors on
ordinary cars are concave or double concave (2 different sections in one
mirror).
Judging the distance can be a bit awkward although one gets used to that.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL