[Healeys] Mirrors

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 06:33:38 MDT 2011

It is a matter of opinion and personal preference on the best placement for
side mirrors, I have never liked or used door mirrors much.  Long ago I had
an MGB GT, which has somewhat limited rear view because of the hatchback, it
had convex mirrors mounted on the front fenders, first car I had with such
an arrangement, I wondered why all carrs weren't set up this way, worked
great, wide field of vision, no blind spot, yes things look smaller, but I
don't need to see details, I just need to know if there is a car back there.

Much easier to look at often, because they are closer to where you should be
looking (ahead) when you are driving anyway.

They are a pain to adjust and in the way when you are leaning over the
fender, but great when driving.

Obviously others feel door mirrors are the way to go, if you can get a
chance to drive or at least sit in a car with various arrangements it would
be good to do that before you decide, there isn't a right answer, if
installed new they were dealer installed in various locations.

Here is a pic of where they were mounted on the 100, flat mirrors when I got
the car, I converted to convex, which in my opinion is much better for any
side mirror (wider field of view).

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/grglmn/000_0011.jpg

Greg Lemon