[Healeys] 100 Block

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 01:17:48 MDT 2011

Rich

Yes this is an A90 Atlantic block. Most Austin 16,  A70, A90 and
commercial 2.2 litre 4 cylinder petrol engines had only the one fixing
bolt up until about 1952. A few A90 cars had two bolt fixings before
production ceased but the majority had only one.

A single bolt might legitimately have been fitted to a 100 because BMC
sent out some reconditioned 100 engines with single bolt blocks. They
produced a service sheet to explain how an extra hole could be drilled
in the mounting distributor mounting plate. I believe that an extra
spacer ring was required. If anybody is seriously interested I could dig
out the service sheet.

However it is more likely that an A90 engine acquired locally would have
been fitted.

I can quite understand why this modification was done. I had a
distributor 'jump' out of its clamp on a long drive south in an A70
nearly 50 years ago. I had to retime it on the side of the road by trial
and error.

I still have 2 worn A90 Atlantic half engines but when I mention the
distributor issue people loose interest.

Best regards

--
John Harper