[Healeys] 100S modifications

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Tue Oct 18 18:59:57 MDT 2011

Hi Gary,
I'll try to answer your questions.
I'm not an expert on casting techniques but. as far as I can figure, to make
the 100S block the pattern for the deck of the block was changed with
repositioned bosses for the studs and incidentally more material where the
generator would eventually mount.
Moving the distributor to the other side of the block was necessitated by
the manifolds which were located on the right side of the 100S head.
The actual process of moving the distributor was not too difficult because
there is already a 1/2 engine speed quill shaft over there which is used to
drive the tachometer in the original 100 configuration. All they had to do
was cast up a special pedestal, incorporating a tachometer drive (just like
the one used on the pre BJ8 6 cylinder cars)  and bolt it on.

Michael Salter