[Healeys] 100S modifications (was Distributor cap orientation-details)

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 03:31:48 MDT 2011

Hey Gary,
Your basic premise is not correct.
Production 100 blocks are different casting blocks.
That's what Mike said in the article I referenced, and that's what
Patrick said.
If the blocks were the same casting, then the material would be there
to redrill a 100 block to accept the 100/S studs. Wouldn't it? Same
casting???
Did you read Mike's article? He had to add material.
It wasn't in the casting of a std 100/4 block.
Yes, you can add material. You can remachine. You can "make" a 100
block into a 100/S.
30 hours of a skilled machinist.
Dennis welch even quotes it as a "call us" price.
But that's not how the factory made 100/S blocks.
They started with a different casting.
A great machinist can make a 2.6 litre 100/6 block into a 3 litre.
A great machinist can make a 948cc Bugeye into 1220cc
A great machinist can make a 2 inch SU into a 2 1/8" carb at the
butterfly
A great machinist can make a 2.2 litre Austin A70 head fit a 100/4
A great machinist can make a 100/4 block take a 100/S head.
But that's not what the factory did.
That made a new casting.
And machined it accordingly.
Sent from my iPhone