[Healeys] Distributor cap orientation-details

Chris Dimmock [Healey] austin.healey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:59:42 MDT 2011

Hi All

Hard to email detail & links on tech issues from my phone, so I'll spell out
more clearly what I explained to Stephen off list, as I inadvertently used
the same part number twice...
There are 2 different caps that at first glance look the same for the 25D6
as used on the BJ8, Jags, Wolsleys etc.
But they aren't identical...

The 'correct' cap for a 25D as fitted on a BJ8 is original Lucas part number
54412474.
The high tension lead cut out in the cap is on the same side as the leads
exit the cap; and when fitted to the distributor, the vacuum advance line
nipple will be pointing towards the rear of the car, towards the block.

Lucas 54412474 is the correct one.
Here's a pic:
http://72.47.197.171/bpmag/index.php/austin-healey/bn4-bj8/distributor-cap-bj7-bj8.html
Note the low tension lead cutout is BELOW the coil lead.

The 'incorrect' cap for a 25D as fitted on a BJ8 is original Lucas part
number 54413902.
The high tension lead cut out in the cap is on the OPPOSITE side to where
the leads exit the cap; and when fitted to the distributor, so the leads can
point towards the block, the vacuum advance line nipple will be pointing
towards the FRONT of the car, towards the RHD steering box. These caps were
used on 6 cyl princess/ wolseley sedans - and BJ8 based factory works cars
(which didn't have vacuum advance - 23D6 based distributors)
Yes, you can use it, by rewiring, and having your distributor look
silly.....

Lucas 54413902 is the wrong one - it is a wolseley/ 6/110 cap
Here's a pic -
http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=105&product_id=1569&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=155&vmcchk=1&Itemid=155
Notice the cutout at the 'back' of the cap, not under the coil lead?

Bosch - in their infinite wisdom, decided that these caps were
"interchangeable" - and have sold both caps under the same part number for
at least the last 9 years. duh.
So although I've quoted part numbers - remanuafacturered caps may not be
correct.... you have to look at the relationship between the coil lead and
the LT cutout.....

Best
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com