[Healeys] Interesting ignition/starter mystery

Frank tonup at tellink.net
Sat Oct 8 15:49:01 MDT 2011

Many thanks to all that replied with suggestions!

The car now starts when hot with just a touch of the starter button.  Upon
examination I found the ground (+) lead from the battery to be faulty.  The
crimped on lug where it attaches to the firewall was a little corroded but the
wire inside was blackened and the insulation had melted at the junction.  I
bought a new one which is a little thicker (4AWG vs 6AWG) for four dollars.  I
replaced the bolt with a stainless one and used a bronze lock washer and
stainless star washer.

All is well at the moment but I haven't put the pertronix ignition back in
yet.  I'm still concerned that is was what caused engine to cut out.

Thanks,
Frank