[Healeys] Chassis and Body Numbers on a BN6

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Oct 6 15:45:55 MDT 2011

Derek, my knowledge is of BJ8s only, so for what it's worth:

Chassis numbers and body numbers are only stamped on the plates on the
firewall.  BJ8s in theory also have the chassis number stamped into the
outboard vertical (1/2" high) surface of the right front shock absorber
mounting tower, but as far as I know earlier models do not.  If a BJ8 is
missing both its VIN and body number plates and no legible number can be
found on the shock tower, then options for identifying the correct chassis
number are limited:

The rear axle:  some have serial numbers and some do not.  BMIHT will not do
a reverse search on a rear axle serial number to determine the original
chassis number.  This search would be manual and would be too time-consuming
for them to do.  A personal visit to the BMIHT archives might be useful in
this case, if possible.

The gearbox and/or engine serial number:  BMIHT will do a reverse search on
an engine serial number, but not a gearbox.  But then, there is no guarantee
that the engine or gearbox now in the car is original to it anyway.  I know
of many people who have ordered a certificate using the serial number of the
engine in their car and got a certificate that turns out not to apply to
their actual chassis as later identified.

BMIHT will do an informal search of factory build cards without issuing a
certificate, using their Archive Research Service available at their
website.

You seem to be referring to the reference numbers stamped on things such as
the bonnet latch assembly, the bonnet hinge, and the boot lid prop rod
attach flange.  These have no use in identification of a specific chassis
number.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry